Re: OpenOffice.org and fonts

Hi,

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 23:15, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> I use woody and the OpenOffice.org 1.1.1 packages from
>     deb ftp://ftp.freenet.de/pub/debian-openoffice stable-test main contrib.
> I want to use fonts for screen display as well as printing.
>
> Do I have to install the respective fonts for X11 *and* for GhostScript?  If
> yes, isn't it poor to have two copies of each font on my harddisk?

I don't know, and this isn't related to OpenOffice so perhaps you could
try looking at the GhostScript documentation.

> Which role does Defoma play? Alas, I haven't found any detailed information
> about Defoma so far.

Defoma is a font management framework for Debian that predates
fontconfig.  Any fonts registered with defoma are available to
applications that know how to use defoma fonts.  OOo backports for Woody
will use defoma fonts if you have x-ttcidfont-conf installed.

> In the file README.Debian of the package openoffice.org one can read that OOo
> uses Fontconfig.

Erm, this does not apply to the Woody backport, thanks for pointing that
out.  Fontconfig is not available in plain woody installations.

> Is it necessary to install/register fonts in OpenOffice.org or does installing
> of certain Debian packages suffice?  Which Debian packages must be installed?

You should install x-ttcidfont-conf, to ensure that all defoma-enabled
fonts are installed.  There is a list of additional directories to be
searched in /usr/bin/openoffice:

# Default font path.  This is used if SAL_FONTPATH_USER is not defined.
DEBOO_FONTPATH="/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/;/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic/;\
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled;/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled;\
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/;/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID;/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/;\
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/;/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/;\
/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType;\
/usr/share/fonts/truetype;\
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/kochi;\
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/larabie-straight;\
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/larabie-deco;\
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/larabie-uncommon;\
"

If you install additional fonts in any of these directories, OOo will
find them.  If you wish to use fonts in other directories, use the
'oopadmin' tool to register them with OOo.