Why is OOCalc so slow ???

I have an Excel spreadsheet which has a couple of sheets and two charts.
In Gnumeric it opens instantaneously, but in OpenOfficeCalc it takes almost a minute. I can't believe how slow it is.

I thought it must have been the process of converting the Excel file fomrmat to an internal format that OOCalc uses. That still may be the case but after trying Gnumeric I can definately say that there is no fundamental reason for it to be so slow in OOCalc.

Does anyone know if this a problem with the Debian builds (probably not) or an upstream problem (more likely) ???

Regards,
Brendan Simon.