Re: Adding fonts to OpenOffice

On Saturday 24 April 2004 05:26 am, Sami J. Laine wrote:
> Hello OpenOffice.org experts,
>
> I wonder if there is a way to make OpenOffice.org packages aware of all
> fonts installed into system using X-server configuration file? Or any
> other way to batch-process huge amount of truetype fonts and make
> OpenOffice.org aware of them will do also.
>
> Having approximately 400 truetype fonts made available for applications
> via X-server configuration file, using either defoma or dfontmgr sounds
> ridiculously difficult way to handle the situation.
This is a common problem with all debian & I suppose other distros as well.
The entire situation with fonts should be resolved by making every software
package with specialty fonts  or indeed all fonts placed in the same
location..i.e. /usr/sharel/fonts/ then linking them to the various
applications or servers. I have done that manually  & believe me it was an
interesting experience. However the result is that every font in my system is
managed via the x-server with no problems. I have over 8,000 installed 6,000
are true type the rest are varied. All applications recognize and use them
with no current issues. So the answer is yes it can be done. It does require
serious command line integration as there is NO GUI for this.
Best wishes!!
--
John Foster