Re: Adding fonts to OpenOffice

Sami J. Laine wrote:
> I wonder if there is a way to make OpenOffice.org packages aware of all
> fonts installed into system using X-server configuration file? Or any
> other way to batch-process huge amount of truetype fonts and make
> OpenOffice.org aware of them will do also.
>
> Having approximately 400 truetype fonts made available for applications
> via X-server configuration file, using either defoma or dfontmgr sounds
> ridiculously difficult way to handle the situation.

OpenOffice.org uses fontconfig, so all you need to do is make the fonts
available via fontconfig and OO.o will see them.  You can do this one of
two ways:

* Put the fonts in an existing directory in the fontconfig path, such as
  /usr/local/share/fonts/ for system-wide fonts, or ~/.fonts for
  per-user fonts.

* Add the directory currently containing the fonts to the fontconfig
  path.  You can add a new directory by editing a fontconfig
  configuration file, either /etc/fonts/local.conf for system-wide
  settings or ~/.fonts.conf for per-user settings, and adding the line

Once you have done either of these, run "fc-cache", either as root if
you installed the fonts system-wide, or as a user if you installed them
in that user's home directory.  The fonts should then be available to
all fontconfig-enabled applications, including OpenOffice.org.

- Josh Triplett