Re: truetype installation help

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 11:11:39 +0100
Chris Halls <halls@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 04:18, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 19:24, Johannes Graumann wrote:
> > > Thanks for the hint! Can you believe it took me the WHOLE DAY to
> > > figure this out: 'dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig'?
>
> Johannes, why did you need that explicitly?

Chris, I really don't know. I tried so many things I nearly went crazy
and this last thing is what made fonts pop up in the respective OO
dialog. Here's a bit of my log:
1) get
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/arabeyes/ae_fonts1_ttf_1.0.tar.bz2
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/arabeyes/kacst_fonts_1.5.tar.bz2
2) mv to /usr/share/fonts/truetype
3) tar xjf
4) chown -R root:root
5) chmod -R 755
6) dpkg-reconfigure x-ttcidfont-conf
7) edit /etc/X11/XF86config-4:
   add:
   FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/CID"
   FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
8) edit/etc/X11/fs config:
   add to 'catalogue':
/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/CID/,/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfon
t-conf.d/dirs/TrueType/
9) edit /etc/fonts/local.conf:
   add:
10) ALL ELSE PROBABLY BULLSHIT!: dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig

I would greatly appreciate if you'd let me know what combination of
commands gave me what I needed.

> > Yes.  Debian is *big*, and obscure stuff that non-Developers
> > don't have a regular occasion to use aren't well documented.
>
> Yup, although I thought the fontconfig integration was documented for
> OOo in the README.Debian.
>
>         Missing fonts on upgrade to 1.1.0
>         ---------------------------------
>         As part of the integration of Ximian's work, openoffice now
>         uses fontconfig to determine the installed fonts on your
>         system. Fonts that were installed using the 'spadmin' tool in
>         a non-standard directory are no longer supported.  You should
>         move those fonts to a directory that fontconfig knows about,
>         such as~/.fonts or /usr/local/share/fonts.   The same applies
>         if you made use of special paths with SAL_FONTPATH_PRIVATE.
>

> Johannes, did you see this at all?  Did you look at README.Debian?
> I'm wondering how we can improve this for others trying to do the same
> thing.  I wonder if you missed this because it talks about upgrading
> to 1.1.0.
Yes, but that doesn't necessary mean I understood it ;0) I read and read
this paragraph as: "put your fonts into
/usr/local/share/fonts/<font_type> and fontconfig (and thereby OO) will
know them.
That's what I did (see log above) - and man, did I have some trouble!
Your proposed change in wording doesn't really differ in this respect
and would probably not helped me any more ...

Joh