Re: truetype installation help

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 15:07, Nurnberg-LaZerte wrote:
> There are peculiarities with the Debian openoffice.org's usage of
> fonts and its relationship with fontconfig and defoma, at least on my
> sarge installation:
>
> i) All my additional fonts (type1, tt and otf) were visible available
> to gnome apps, Abiword, Gnumeric, kde3 apps and Mozilla; all were
> visible in fc-list, but only the tt fonts were visible to
> openoffice.org.

We are aware of the .otf problem.  Michael just told me that he found a
problem with type1 files and has made a fix.  This will be available in
the next version of the packages.

> ii) I can make some of the type1fonts visible to oo.org *only* by
> listing them in my ~/.fonts.conf. Previously I had registered them
> with defoma instead (create a hint file with defoma-hint then register
> the fonts/hintfile using defoma-font as root). This links them to
> defoma's fontconfig directory.

>    Apparently openoffice.org is not defoma aware and/or somehow
> determines its fonts in a way diferent from fc-list (?).

The packages don't directly support defoma, but recent versions of
fontconfig are supposed to integrate with defoma.  When you registered
them with defoma like that were they then available in fc-list?

> iii) For some reason, a few type-1fonts could *not* be made available
> to OpenOffice.org by listing them in my ~/.fonts.conf. But they too
> are available to all other apps like Abiword and visible in the
> fc-list.

Please can you check whether this still happens after the next package
version is uploaded.

> iii) I still can't make otf fonts work in oo.org, even when listed in
> my ~/.fonts.conf (which is necessary in this case as defoma doesn't
> seem to support otf either). But these fonts are listed in fc-list and
> available to all other fontconfig-aware programs I've tried.

Does the upstream OOo support otf fonts properly?

> iv) personal ttf fonts registered via defoma and not put in my
> ~/.fonts.conf, work fine with openoffice.org

That must be the fontconfig defoma integration at work.

> I'm not sure just what is going on, but OpenOffice.org is definitely
> behaving differently than every other fontconfig-aware program on my
> system.

It doesn't completely integrate with fontconfig like other applications;
it's more of a hybrid between fontconfig and the existing font
implementation within OOo itself.