Re: OpenOffice in testing does not see all fontconfig fonts

** Reply to message from Chris Halls <halls@debian.org> on Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:20:59 +0100

>> OpenOffice in current testing does not "see" all the fonts I have
>> configured with fontconfig. These fonts are all available with
>> Mozilla-Firebird, Gnome and KDE programs, just not available within
>> OpenOffice for documents.
>>
>> All the TT fonts are available, but what's missing are some older type
>> 1 (only ISO8859-1) and some otf fonts.
>
>Please provide a concrete example.  Your description tells us there is a
>problem, but not what the problem is exactly.
>
>Pick one of these missing fonts.  How did you install it?  What type of
>font is it?  Where is it installed?  Is it listed in 'fc-list'?

Many thanks for the reply. I'll start with the OTF fonts. These are installed by referencing them in /home/blaz/.fonts.conf as:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
  <dir>/home/blaz/fonts/opentypefonts/</dir>
</fontconfig>
(I have removed all the comments)
An example is DIN Engschrift Std or /home/blaz/fonts/opentytpefonts/DINEngschriftStd.otf. These are available to Gnome and KDE programs and Mozilla-Firebird in testing, and they are listed with "fc-list |cut -d : -f 1 | sort | uniq".

As are the missing Type 1 fonts. "fc-list |cut -d : -f 1 | sort | uniq | wc" tells me that I have 103 fonts installed, but only ~54 are available for use in OpenOffice. The missing type 1 fonts are made available to fontconfig differently by registering them with defoma (defoma apparently doesn't yet support otf).  This involved using defoma-hints to create a hintfile and then "defoma-font register-all hintfile". The fonts subsequently appear as links under alphabetical subdirectories of /var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d, to my home directories with the pfb files. The fontconfig.d directory is searched and cached by fontconfig (not sure how it knows about it though). And, the fonts appear in fc-list.