Re: OO 1.0.2 backported to woody

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 11:52:49AM +0100, Chris Halls wrote:

> Hi Adrian,

Hi Chris,

> On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 01:15:22AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > I've backported OpenOffice.org 1.0.2 to woody and added these packages
> > to a larger collection of packages I do maintain [1].
>
> What exactly is the reason for putting another set of packages into
> circulation?  Were you unhappy with the existing backports, or were you
> unaware of them?

I was aware of your backports. The reason why I made my own backport is:

These OO packages are part of a collection of currently 369 packages
I've backported. I want to get this collection of packages into a state
where they are stable and only important bugfix will be included. This
means that I want to know what exactly is needed to build the packages
und which tricks are needed (e.g. for OO proc mounted and no fakeroot).
E.g. I don't want to make the g++ 3.2 transition in my backport packages
and therefore I do currently not plan to backport XFree86 4.2.1-5 but
I'm including some fixes from 4.2.1-5 into my backport of 4.2.1-4.
Including a bugfix into a backport works best without breaking other
things when you did the backport yourself.

> I've now released -2, which includes several changes to make the packages
> adapt automatically to the distro they are built on:

That's very positive since it makes backporting more easy.

> However, there is one remaining item to do before making these available for
> Woody:  We are using the Debian libfreetype again, but packages compiled
> with the libfreetype in Woody will not work properly with the libfreetype in
> sarge/unstable, so the dependencies need to be fixed to limit the
> libfreetype version.  Please do not upload packages without making sure of
> this.

Thanks for the pointer. Considering the dependency on specific
libfreetype versions in other packages like xpdf I already thought
something like this when I saw 1.0.2-2 in incoming.

> Thanks,
> Chris

cu
Adrian