Re: How to set up multilingual OO including arabic?

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:25:15 +0200
Chris Halls <chris@thehalls.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 18:32, Johannes Graumann wrote:
> > > Am running Debian Sid and have installed their 1.1.0-1, including
> > > several language support packages for my polyglot wife. Now I am at
> > > a loss of how to make ooffice work such that she can choose between
> > > Arabic, Spanish, Turkish, French, German or English at startup. I
> > > have searched the google archives for this but haven't come across
> > > anything...
>
> But you didn't look in README.Debian...
>
> Language support
> ================
> You can get foreign language support by installing the
> openoffice.org-l10n-<lang> package for your language.  You will also
> need the
> 'locales' package installed.  The user interface language is selected
> according
> to your locale(1) settings.
>
> To change the user interface language for all users, run
>
>   dpkg-reconfigure locales
>
> To change the language for just one user, you must arrange for the
> LC_MESSAGES
> or LANG environment variable to be set.  You can list all available
> locales
> with the command 'locale -a'.
>
> For example, to run OpenOffice in German from the command line:
>
>   LANG=de_DE openoffice

Well ... I came across that and did the following:
- dpkg-reconfigure locales --> generating ar_LB.ISO-8859-6 and ar_LB.UTF-8
additionally to my English ones.
- apt-get install xfonts-intl-arabic
- LANG=ar_LB openoffice

But this leads to: I18N: X Window System doesn't support locale "ar_LB"

What am I missing?

Joh