Trouble with Power-PC port

Hi

My set-up is Debian woody on a dual processor 450 MHz Mac G4, running OOo
1.0.3.-2+1.

It all seems to work fine so far except for one important element.

If I try to open Excel Workbooks (either produced in Office98 for Mac or
OfficeXP for Mac) OpenOffice starts to load and just before it displays
the workbook, closes itself.  If I open OOo first and then try to open
the workbook it still closes just before displaying the workbook.

On our network we've also got two 686i PC's running open office on woody
and they can open these workbooks fine; if they are saved on the PC's
first, some of them (but not all) will open on my G4.  Sods law is that the
ones that I really need to be able to open, don't.  We've tried saving
them in various formats to no avail.

It seems only to happen when opening workbooks that have been created on
Mac OS (8.6 or 9.0).

I searched the bug reports on openoffice.org but couldn't see anything
similar.

If you would like me to try anything to help isolate the problem, pls
let me know.

Many thanks

Clive