Re: OOo 1.1 installed, 1.0.3 Opens?

On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 12:31:26AM -0700, Ken Walker wrote:
> On Sat, 31 May 2003 11:09:53 -0600, Daniel Teichert <danielt@ee.byu.edu>
> wrote:
>
> >I didn't try running 1.0.3 after that, so I don't know if they
> >coexist well.

The two are designed to co-exist well, and I use both versions on my system.

> Well, uh, no, it didn't but thanks anyway.  Actually, since I tried to
> install the beta I have not been able to get open office to work at all.
> Whether I try to fire it up with AltF2 or from the kde menu, it displays a
> wee icon on the screen and tried to load for perhaps a minute then quietly
> vanishes.  I have looked for log files to see what it is doing, but as far
> as I can tell there are none.
>
> I used apt-get to uninstall the beta and reinstall the current verion
> (1.0.3?) but the same thing happens.
>
> Is there somewhere I can set log levels so that they tell me what is
> happening?

There isn't much log info compiled in release builds.  It can help, though,
to run 'openoffice' or 'openoffice1.1' from a terminal window - you may see
information there.

If there is nothing at all and OOo just hangs, there is a good chance that
you have some hung OOo processes around.  You should be able to see them
using 'ps -fu $USER | grep soffice.bin'.

You can kill them off using 'killall -9 soffice.bin'.  This kills all OOo
processees so don't do this if you have any other OOo windows open :)

(A reboot would clear this problem too, so don't be surprised if switching
off and on helps)