[This mail is widely crossposted; please follow up to
dev@installation.openoffice.org]

Hi packagers,

I'd like to invite you all to our new home :)

We've been looking over the past few weeks for a quiet corner of the
project, where the developers working on packaging OOo for various
distributions can collaborate and share each others' experiences.

dev@installation was chosen because it is an almost dormant list at the
moment, and much of the technical discussion that occurs between the
packagers is relevant for the installation project, which will be developing
the next generation installer that is planned for OOo 2.0.

These are the sorts of topics we could discuss:

  - keeping other packagers up to date with progress, known problems and
    workarounds

  - sharing knowledge and patches for changes that have not yet made it into
    CVS, and co-ordinating the development of changes needed for packagers.

  - helping to keep the user experience the same across packages, for
    example by agreeing to use the same file locations for various
    components, e.g. location of myspell dictionaries.

  - helping new packagers get up to speed and therefore productive more
    quickly and to encourage them to submit changes back to IssueZilla.

  - having a way for other developers to easily discuss the effects their
    changes with all the packagers at once.