Re: Solver tree in debian

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 07:51:22PM +0100, Rémi Peyronnet wrote:
> I would like to add some features to OpenOffice.org, but I have no
> enough space / time to make the full build, so the solver method would
> be perfect to me. I tried the solvers available on openoffice.org (641,
> 642, 643C) without any success, and when I saw all the patches you made,
> I guess these solvers cannot work on a debian system.

The patches should not make any big difference to the build; they are mostly
build fixes/small tweaks and no API changes.

However, we build with gcc 3.2, and the official solvers are built with gcc
3.0, so that is likely to cause problems for you.

> Would that be possible for you to make a package of your solver tree (or
> even just a targz if a package is too much work) ?

The problem for me is that I have limited bandwidth and the solver tree is
850 MBytes or so.  An official solver package is highly likely to be
accepted into the archive anyway, since it contains many files which are
duplicated in the existing packages, and the time taken to create a .deb is
probably better spent on improving something else.

However, a tar.gz is not all that much work and is maybe possible for
someone else on the team with some time?

On the other hand, the solver is easy enough to build from the packages, and
there is not much extra disk space needed if you use the features I built
into the lastest packages:

apt-get source openoffice.org
cd openoffice.org-1.0.2
apt-get build-dep openoffice.org
DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=deloutput debian/rules buildall

The 'buildall' target will create a solver without the packages, and
'deloutput' will delete each individual project's intermediate files once it
has been delivered to the solver.  The only thing you have to do is wait,
which you'll need to do anyway...