Re: Woody: trying to overwrite `/usr/ ... /iso64101.res

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 04:33:22PM +0100, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Mark J. Small wrote:
> > Everything installed nicely from there...
> >
> > Any ideas on what's going on?  Why wasn't the debian-files package
> > selected with apt-get upgrade when it was with dselect?
>
> That's a feature of apt.
>
> You've used apt-get update. apt-get update only installs newer version
> of the package installed. If the dependencies change and some
> dependencies are not installed on your system net (in this case
> openoffice.org-debian-files) apt-get upgrade does not upgrade them.

The above statement is wrong. When apt-get is asked to upgrade a
package, and the new version of the package has an additional (new)
dependency, apt-get asks the user whether to install the additional
packages.

Running 'apt-get -u  upgrade' displays more detailed information.

> In such cases, use apt-get dist-upgrade. dselect regognizes deps
> anyway ans installs them.

Apt-get dist-upgrade indeed does it by itself. Dselect, however, is of
course informed about the dependencies, but it uses apt-get to install
the selected packages. Though, I haven't used dselect for ages.

> Regards,
>
> Rene
>
> --
>  .''`.  Rene Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer

You might be a Debian GNU/Linux Developer, but I upgrade my sid
installation almost daily, and I know what 'apt-get -u upgrade' does,
and what it asks :)

[e]

>e@hq.sk<                   /(bb|[^b]{2})/                 >http://hq.sk/~euro<
    build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying
    to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
                                                                    -- Rich Cook