Re: openoffice.org-debian/files

Hi Thomas,

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 05:26:26PM -0500, Thomas R. Shemanske wrote:
> I do not know whether to report this as a bug against
> openoffice.org-debian-files  or gnome-session, but it is a recurrent
> problem.

It is a problem of OpenOffice.org not responding quick enough to the session
manager.

> Everytime, you upload a new openoffice.org-debian-files package, you of
> course overwrite /usr/bin/openoffice
>
> This script checks for the presence of gnome-session and if present
> unsets the session manager.
>
> Uunfortunately when I look at my /proc/PID/exe link, it says
>
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 trs      trs             0 Dec  4 17:14 exe ->
> /usr/bin/gnome-session.dpkg-new (deleted)

That means your gnome-session got upgraded since it was last started - not
just openoffice!

> I don't restart by gnome-session often, but after doing so once, the
> link seemed correct, but then gets changed by something to the link
> displayed above.
>
> This link is not removable even by root.

Yes, the binary has been deleted but won't be completely removed until your
session manager restarts.

> At any rate, my short-term solution has been to comment out the if and
> fi statements and just unset the session manager, until the next upload
> of openoffice.org-debian-files which, as of late, has been quite
> frequent in sid.
>
> I thought I would at least start with you guys.

Yes, that's fine.  I wasn't aware of that but it will be quite easy to fix -
something like this should do to allow any extensions after the name:

  SESMGR="`readlink -f /proc/$SMPID/exe`"
  case "$SESMGR" in
      /usr/bin/gnome-session*)
      echo "Gnome session manager detected - session management disabled"
      unset SESSION_MANAGER
      ;;
  esac

Change is checked in but I do not use Gnome so I can't verify that it will
now work, so please say if it does not.