Re: OpenOffice freezes Woody on startup

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 11:01:31AM -0400, Adam Kessel wrote:
> I installed OpenOffice (both the "testing" and "unstable" versions from the
> olemiss.edu mirror) on a brand-new Woody installation on a Sony VAIO. After
> showing the splash screen, it brings up the window for importing an address
> book from Netscape, and the entire system freezes. It appears that OO is
> taking up 100% of the CPU; sometimes you can change to console and kill the
> process but usually you can't do anything: ctrl-alt-backspace/del, ssh from
> outside, etc.. Typically I just have to power off the system.

This sounds suspiciously like an S3 chip.  Quoting from the documentation in
/usr/share/doc/openoffice.org:

*   Problems with S3 Savage chip
    If you are running XFree86 4.x and have an S3 Savage chip, you must use
    this workaround.  Export this variable before starting openoffice:
    SAL_DO_NOT_USE_INVERT50=true
    export SAL_DO_NOT_USE_INVERT50

    If you do not do this, OOo will not work and the Xserver will eventually
    hang.  If you are very unlucky, the machine must be _powered off_ and
    rebooted to clear the problem!

    Alternatively, you can install XFree86 4.2, or update the driver to
    version 1.1.20 or above from:
    http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html