Re: Some issues with oo.o 1.0.0-3

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 08:35:38AM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> Reply-To is not the place I
> want to play with.  At least for mutt users I did set the

Sorry, typo on my part - I meant Mail-Followup-To :) and now my mutt gets
the To/Cc right by itself, thanks.

>  Uhm, don't think that that would be a good idea. Could lead to security
> problems or such. Moving it away could be an option, using mktemp.

What problems are you thinking of?  Why is moving it away better?  I'm
worried that moving it away breaks other s/w that could be using it during
the install.

> > Umm, what I meant was that I'm not convinced we should be doing this at all
> > - the existence of an OpenOffice.org 1.0 directory implies the user ran
> > setup manually,
>
>  It doesn't.  An admin could change /etc/openoffice/autoresponse.conf --
> after all it's a configuration file that admins are *allowed* to change.
> We shouldn't work against that.  And "OpenOffice.org 1.0" in the
> .sversion i not the directory name, it's the OO.o version string:
>
> alfie@nox:~$ cat .sversionrc
> [Versions]
> OpenOffice.org 1.0=file:///home/alfie/etc/OO.o-1.0
>
> > and I'd rather we don't even support running setup manually, since it
> > introduces new unwanted problems.
>
>  But we should support changing configuration files, shouldn't we? :)

Well... yes, more or less. I'm talking short-term here:  we'll support this
extra stuff later on, but for now I'm trying to minimise the ways in which
it can be broken in subtle ways.  If a user does this sort of thing, I'd
rather it breaks loudly and everyone knows that's what they did and they are
on their own.

Actually, that 'configuration file' isn't actually marked as a conffile in
your .debs - I discovered that yesterday ;)

> > The only reason for running manually at the moment, is so that the
> > Java home can be specified instead of being none, and I'd rather we
> > solve that automatically, too.
>
>  That can be done by changing the configuration file, too.

Yep, but if a user fiddles there they're starting to do 'more advanced'
stuff anyway and will hopefully report that if they want something fixed.

I'm just trying to keep this setup stuff really simple until it's fixed in a
better way.  Parsing .sversionrc and fixing nothing else adds more potential
for stuff to break in subtle ways, so I'd rather not until it's done well.

>  Oh, thought you mentioned something you filed upstream... Must have
> been something else, thanks for the hint and the reminder.

That was probably the Gnome file copy error.  You can track the issues I've
filed by querying for my user, which is haggai@openoffice.org.

Chris Halls | Frankfurt, Germany