Re: ODBC handling in openoffice packages (Bug #138453)

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 05:47:19PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I'm so glad to see that there's now a mailing list, and a working
> OpenOffice 1.0 package; it gives me someone to offload this bug report
> onto. ;)
>
>   http://bugs.debian.org/138453

Steve,

Thanks a lot for the extra information.  It's already on our TODO list,
(item #13), and it will get looked at.  We have a lot on our hands at the
moment.

> I propose one of two possible fixes.  Either the OpenOffice .deb should
> set a library of search path that looks for the ODBC driver manager
> where it will find it -- that means /usr/lib/libodbc.so.1 and
> /usr/lib/libiodbc.so.2 on Debian.  Or, the OpenOffice .deb should get
> rid of this whole dlopen thing, link against one of the available ODBC
> driver managers, and Depend: on it outright.  After all, there is an
> actively maintained unixodbc package in Debian, and its Installed-Size
> of 1444 is peanuts compared to the 161884 for openoffice.org. :)

At the moment, I am trying to be very conservative about making
modifications to upstream unless we get them accepted for integration
upstream.  We have already had to remove the non-free gpc
library and disable Java so we can move towards main, and I'd rather not
make even more changes.  We don't have anywhere near enough people to
support the .debs on our own without help from the OOo team for their bugs.

So, I'd tend towards a solution with the least amount of modifications to
source code, which looks to make like sorting out the library soname and/or
path.

> [...] and to also see a
> Suggests: or better on one of the ODBC driver manager packages.

Good idea

Chris Halls | Frankfurt, Germany
Yahoo:hagga12000 ICQ:36940860 MSN:chris.halls@nikocity.de