ODBC handling in openoffice packages (Bug #138453)

I'm so glad to see that there's now a mailing list, and a working
OpenOffice 1.0 package; it gives me someone to offload this bug report
onto. ;)

  http://bugs.debian.org/138453

OpenOffice seems to have inherited the same ODBC-handling behavior that
StarOffice had: it detects ODBC support based on whether
/usr/lib/libodbc.so exists on the system.  While it's obvious that
dlopen()ing the ODBC library is generally a good thing because it lets
OpenOffice work on the vast majority of Linux machines that don't
already have ODBC support installed, it should also be obvious to anyone
who has worked with shared libraries on Debian that this is BROKEN AND
WRONG, since /usr/lib/libodbc.so will only work if the corresponding
-dev package is installed on the system.

I propose one of two possible fixes.  Either the OpenOffice .deb should
set a library of search path that looks for the ODBC driver manager
where it will find it -- that means /usr/lib/libodbc.so.1 and
/usr/lib/libiodbc.so.2 on Debian.  Or, the OpenOffice .deb should get
rid of this whole dlopen thing, link against one of the available ODBC
driver managers, and Depend: on it outright.  After all, there is an
actively maintained unixodbc package in Debian, and its Installed-Size
of 1444 is peanuts compared to the 161884 for openoffice.org. :)

Either way, it would be nice to see this fixed, and to also see a
Suggests: or better on one of the ODBC driver manager packages.

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer