Re: Problems with .sversion file

Thanks John for your suggestions!

I've modified the openoffice script to test for the .openoffice and
.sversionrc files and use that information to help the user, but I do not
want to automatically fix things yet:

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 01:24:57PM +0100, John M Cooper wrote:
> if [ ! -d ~/.openoffice ]; then
>   /usr/lib/openoffice/program/setup -R:/etc/openoffice/autoresponse.conf
> fi
>
> Could be changed to
>
> if [ ! -d ~/.openoffice ]; then
>   if [ -r ~/.sversionrc ]; then
>      mv ~/.sversionrc ~/.sversionrc.orig
>   fi

I'm going to go for a more conservative version.  At the moment, I haven't
looked in the users openoffice directory to find out what is important in
there.  The solution you proposed effectively disables the old version of
the directory without warning - I'd rather leave that for the user to sort
out themselves until we know the implications.  So, for now, I'm just going
to stop the script with a diagnostic message if there's a problem.
Hopefully we can make the diagnostic helpful enough so a user knows where to
look for problems.

>   if [ ! -d ~/.kde2 ]; then
>     if [ -d ~/.kde ]; then
>       ln -s ~/.kde ~/.kde2
>     else
>       mkdir ~/.kde2
>     fi
>   fi

Again, I'd rather be more conservative.  If we do this, setup places files
inside the user's KDE directory.  If the .deb is removed, the user has no
way to get these files removed because OOo setup is needed to remove them.
It should not be necessary to place these in the user's home directory,
since they should be installed systemwide anyway and disabled in the user
setup.  Until it is sorted out, I'd rather have the error messages than
bloat users home directories.

Thanks,
Chris Halls | Frankfurt, Germany