Investigating the XML locales configuration (in search of fixes for #168780, #161970)

[continuing private thread with Lucien on debian-openoffice with his
permission]

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 02:28:51PM +0100, Lucien Saviot wrote:
> OK.
> So, here is some more testing.
>
> In Setup.xml, if I have no <ooLocale cfg:type="string"> line, then the
> UI is always in english, whatever the LANG.
> If I add
>   <ooLocale cfg:type="string"/>
> in the <L10N> section, then LANG is used.
> If I want to specify the UI language through this setting, then I need
> "fr-FR". "fr_FR" is probably understood as invalid and LANG is used.
> "fr-FR@euro" seems to work.
>
> I couldn't figure out how to change the ooLocale through the GUI.
>
> The ooSetupCurrency and ooSetupSystemLocale can be set through the GUI.
>
> ***************************
> To sumarize, the language used by the UI is:
>   1/ the one in the ooLocale section if it is valid
>   2/ LANG if the ooLocale section exists but is empty or invalid
>   3/ english if everything else fails.
> ***************************

This behaviour seems a little odd.  I wonder if it is really intended to be
like that in OOo?

> I think that up to now, we never created valid ooLocale sections (except
> maybe for en-US in some rare cases!), that's why the LANG variable was used.

:D

> I had a look at Mandrake wrapper. It's certainly nice, but it doesn't
> work as I expect. I prefer to let the wrapper control the UI language,
> but nothing else as everything seems to be configurable through the GUI.

What do you not see working as you expect?  Do you think it is buggy or is
trying to do the wrong thing?

> I tend to prefer the <ooLocale cfg:type="string"/> tag, because it fails
> back to using LANG. This way, normal users should be happy and "power
> users" can use wathever language they prefer at tun-time with the
> LANG=??_?? openoffice trick.

Yup, that sounds like a good idea to me.  While we're hacking this around,
would it be a good idea to use Gwenole's (Mandrake) Perl+twig code to do
this?  The code seems to be a lot less likely to get confused, thanks to the
Twig library.

Does anyone on this list have a good way to find where these config
variables are used in the code?  I'm looking for anything that people have
found, such as a grep expression, or a Ximian Bonsai search, or a good
document.