OpenOffice freezes Woody on startup

I installed OpenOffice (both the "testing" and "unstable" versions from the
olemiss.edu mirror) on a brand-new Woody installation on a Sony VAIO. After
showing the splash screen, it brings up the window for importing an address
book from Netscape, and the entire system freezes. It appears that OO is
taking up 100% of the CPU; sometimes you can change to console and kill the
process but usually you can't do anything: ctrl-alt-backspace/del, ssh from
outside, etc.. Typically I just have to power off the system.

Aside from the requisite OpenOffice files, all the packages are from Woody.

Can someone suggest how I might debug this? What additional information
would be useful?
---
Adam Kessel (adam@bostoncoop.net)