Gnome desktop integration in Debian

Thank you John for providing this information about what we need to do in
Debian to improve the desktop entries.

After the recent thread with Kevin and others about improving the source
itself instead of just patching within Debian and sending those patches
upstream at a later date, I'll try working on a patch that is acceptable for
upstream from the outset.

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 11:10:49AM +0100, John Cooper wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 11:28, Chris Halls wrote:
> > A note about the desktop integration:  I use KDE, and this seems to be
> > working well.  I know there are problems with GNOME applications still -
> > Jan tells me the menu entries are not in the right place, and the Gnome
> > helper settings don't work for e.g. Galeon - so if you want this fixed
> > please tell me how :) - I don't have sufficient disk space at the moment
> > to install it myself.

> Changes required for the gnome menus.
>
> Currently all the OOo entries are in /usr/share/gnome/apps/net and this
> will cause them to come up under the net category for gnome 1.4(not
> checked) and under  Other for Gnome 2.
>
> I suggest the following.
>
> 1. Moving the .desktop files to the dir
> /usr/share/gnome/apps/Applications and renaming them as starting with
> OOo so textdoc.desktop becomes OOo-textdoc.desktop to avoid confusion.
> 2. Move the setup.desktop and printeradmin.desktop to
> /usr/share/gnome/apps/Settings/ and also adding the OOo- prefix.

At the moment, the Gnome files get put in <prefix>/share/gnome/net during a
network install, but looking at the CreateGroup stuff in gnomeint, was it
maybe that the intention was to create a completely seperate group like in
KDE?

> 3. Adding the following lines to the files so they are properly handled
> by gnome2.
>
> OOo-setup.desktop:
> 	Categories=Settings
> OOo-printeradmin.desktop
> 	Categories=Settings
> OOo-textdoc.desktop
> 	Categories=Application;Office;WordProcessor
> OOo-spreadsheet.desktop
> 	Categories=Application;Office;Spreadsheet
> OOo-mathdoc.desktop
> 	Categories=Application;Office;EquationEditor
> OOo-presentation.desktop
> 	Categories=Application;Office;Presentation
> OOo-drawing.desktop
> 	Categories=Application;Graphics;Drawing

I guess that could be done too by modifying the gnomeint script?  Is there
any reason not to include those extra lines in the .desktop files?