Re: Font handling in new 1.0.1

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 12:13:53AM -0700, Marc Wilson wrote:
> With the new version, all applications EXCEPT for Writer can see any font
> that the X server can see.  Writer, on the other hand, can only see a small
> selection of fonts, plus some TTF's I added with spadmin.
>
> Maybe I'm an idiot... feel free to tell me so... but is that the way it's
> supposed to work?  Is Writer only supposed to be able to see the fonts I
> add explicitly, while all the other parts of the suite can see everything?

There was a response to a similar question recently:

--------------------------
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 12:28:19 +0200
From: Christof Pintaske - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg <Christof.Pintaske@sun.com>
Subject: Re: [discuss] Font Display in OpenOffice 1.01
To: discuss@openoffice.org

[...]
Fonts that are available through the XWindow API are "not printable" and
are not available for documents that do formatting for the printer
(OpenOffice.org Writer being the most prominent example). Please try to
create a new HTML document and check the Font list box again.

The font rendering stuff and the font selection stuff has not been
changed between release 1.0 and 1.0.1. It's just that issue 4366 has
been fixed.

If you think a specific font does not appear as it should please
describe precisely what font it is, where it is located and how it can
be accessed (filesystem, filesystem + fontserver, XServer only, ...)
otherwise we are restricted to pure guessing mode.
[...]

> I coulda sworn it didn't work this way with 1.0.1rc3, but I usually use
> Calc, not Writer. :(

That is highly unlikely; I only changed the desktop integration between
those releases; the code stayed the same.