Japanese fonts settings

Hi.

I wrote how to use Japanese fonts by OOo because I found someone wanted
to know how to use Japanese from the archives of this ML.  This instruction
doesn't contain how to use Japanese XIM clients though.

1. At first, you have to install Japanese TrueType fonts. Several fonts are available
 by apt. I recommend 'ttf-kochi-gothic' and 'ttf-kochi-mincho' because these
 are popular in Japan as much as I know.  So, type this:

  $ apt-get install ttf-kochi-gothic ttf-kochi-mincho

2. Make fonts.dir for these fonts.  They will be installed at /usr/share/fonts/
   truetype/kochi. You can use mkttfdir supplied by the 'fttools' package. Like this:

  $ cd /usr/share/fonts/truetype/kochi
  $ mkttfdir .

3. Add FontPath to your XF86Config-4. Edit XF86Config-5 and add the line in Files Section.

  FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/kochi/"

  You also add this line in Modules section.

  Load  "xtt"

  As much as I know, we can't use freetype instead of xtt. I don't know why. If you are
  using GNOME2 and Antialiasing, you can't use Japanese fonts also. Use xtt and turn off
  anti-aliasing.

4. Restart X.

5. After that, run xfontsel and confirm that you can see these two fonts.
   Select 'kochi gothic' in 'fmly' and 'jisx0208.1983' in 'rgstry'. If it success,
   you can see Japanese fonts. Now you can use Japanese fonts on X.

6. Run OOo and open Tools -> Options -> Languages Settings -> Language.
  * Enable Asian languages support.
  * Select 'Japanese' for Default languages for documents.

7. That's all :-). You can select 'Kochi Gothic' from the font selection box in the menu bar .

I hope this helps.

--
Masatoshi Iwasaki