Re: Problems with OpenOffice.org and gcc-3.1 on PowerPC and perhaps on intel, too! [was: kevin.hendricks@sympatico.ca: [dev] question on cppuhelper throwException and double TYPELIB_DANGER_RELEASE]

HI  Jan,

So we have the *exact* same symbols you recompiled your glibc -2.2.5 with the libgcc-compat patch from the libc-alpha mailing list (and used a gcc-3.X compiler to do it .. right).

If so I can't understand why mozilla has missing symbols issues with the build.

That is very strange.

So to recap - we have 3 problems to squash

1. my original build fails with sigill on your machine but when cppuhelper is recompiled with -O0 the sigills go away (I have updated from gcc 3.1 to gcc 3.1.1-pre to try and stomp this one out but Daniel seems to think this is a bug in our new gcc3 bridge code that I have to track down.

2. once past #1, when mozilla address book stuff starts up you get a segfault or a missing symbol problem. The issue here is glibc 2.2.5 related and has 4 possibilities:

- stock glibc-2.2.5 built with gcc-2.95.X
- stock glibc-2.2.5 built with gcc-3.X
- glibc-2.2.5 with libgcc compatibility patch built with gcc 3.X
- glibc-2.2.5 with libgcc compatibility patch built with gcc 2.95.X (does this even work?)

I seem to be using glibc-2.2.5 with libgcc compat patch built with gcc 3.X

But this seems to introduce a versioned and non-versioned symbols related to __udivdi3 that somehow appear in the mozilla libraries libnspr4.so, libxpcom.so, and libmozjs.so.

The question is what is the correct way to have everyone be compatible with binaries built with gcc-3.X on the different types of glibc 2.2.5 combinations?

Do you have access to a glibc-2.2.5 without libgcc-compat patch built with gcc-2.95.X that we could compile Mozilla 1.0 on and check what versions of that symbol exist in those mozilla libraries? Whatever they are, we have to be the same since the majority of systems out there are using that combination I would expect.

3. Your cppu build with debug=TRUE fails since the alignment issue of structure inherited from a parent is showing a different alignment in a structure than the code wants.

Hopefully you have just somehow improperly defined #define MAX_ALIGNMENT_4 in cppu somehow. If not, then something has changed seriously about alignment of inherited structures inside structures that follow doulbes, ints, etc

Thanks,

Kevin