Re: Perhaps stupid request

* Rene Horn <ndogg@geekhead.org> [020302 20:28]:
> I know, but you don't actually have a listing showing what builds (and how to
> build those things) and what doesn't.  That's what I want.

The Problem is, that there is currently only the one large build-script
from the OpenOffice.org guys. This is like the code an very large
moloch, on which altars any readability and debugability was sacrified.

Complicated Problems have not yet shown, the problem is to locate the
problems.

Upstream's build-script give the best chance to get the beast packaged
fast (but dirty).

I'm currentlly on the long-term approach to get the OO.o source build
using automake and in reasonable pieces. (The source with all the
documentating is only 700MB and the compiled result about 100MB, so
there is not much reason to need 9GB per build).

The main problem is here the mere chaos of upstream. There seem to be
points, where the port to windows was already crap and made worse
porting to solaris. There are includefiles ending in .cpp and there
are files which are no longer compiled or have moved but still can
be found on the old place. I've just found an whole directory
with dozens of subdirectories again containing masses of subdirectories
be copied an year ago, the documentation pointing to the old place,
where the files are not parseable.

Something that needs to be done but may need a little bit of knowledge
for are the external sources used. Within the "external" directory there
are the subdirectories:
atl     cpp.lcc   dt glibc  odbc  psprint twain  zlib X11  audio   dmake     expat     gpc
neon         pgp   sane     util ado  common  download  freetype  jpeg   npsdk        prj   std2     w4w

Someone should investigate which of them are still used, and how they
are patched. I think expat is still used for the whole file formats
and the patches seem the change the types used by the lib. (Or maybe
only adding some with names compatbile to sal). It would be very
usefull, if someone would go there and look how the libraries within
Debian can be used, so that we need not ship these libs two times.)

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link
--
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve
nor will he ever receive either. (Benjamin Franklin)