Re: Future development

Multiple replies....

To convert Open Office to auto anything is impossible, IMHO. No doubt there will be a development thread that tries and they might suceed. Frankly this is not my interest. The process works well so long as you do not drift from the script to get the thing compiling. I prefer to keep it simple.

Mistake 1:    Do not use head.

Read this http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/get_source.html and use tag OO638C (there is a patch but it should be live by now). If you wish I will keep posting verified tags.

Mistake 2: Using gcc out of step, 2.95.4 (woody) works 2.95.6 (RH7.1) does not. What is in sid?

There is a development thread that is for gcc 3. It now compiles but fails to run. If this is an issue I can find out info for you.

Mistake 3:  Avoiding the external directories.

Not really a mistake but a deliberate choice. This will take some time and should be put off until you get through the first hoops, then eliminate externals one by one.

Regarding the JDK:

I have stuck with sun jdk 1.3.3 no problems. The java element is really required at present certainly with the build, I have installed without Java run time and it works OK for basic stuff, I have not gone to deep for my testing though. The other Java interpretters are being handled by porting, is there a standard for Debian (package name, Kaffe...)? I can certainly test different JDKs now that I can reliably build.

The only patches I have applied have all gone back to OO or are specifically for compiling debug=true or getting it to compile with -Wall without too much noise. OO people have been most helpful and receptive. They will also support any configurations that you are working on, they are want many markets covered.

BTW  I am a relative newbie to Debian,   RH6.2 for about 2 years preciously.
KenF