Re: The idl thingies

* Magosanyi Arpad <mag@bunuel.tii.matav.hu> [011011 10:07]:

I hope I will be able to look in what you send me today or in the
next days. This week is introduction to the new students in my
institute here, which is quite an large chaos and needs many
of my forces.

Now that we have some experimental packeges of some of the core
of the underling system, we should make them
somewhere available, to get them audited by a larger group.

> What to do with idl and urd files, and the packages containing
> them?

I cc'ed to the list, as this is of general interest. And because
I do not know either.

> Udk installs the urd files, and does not install the idl ones.
> I cannot decide on it, as I does not know much about them.
> All I know is that idl is the interface definition for corba.
> But do they used for anything except creating the urd files?
> What the urd files are used for anyway? Do they needed for
> running?

OpenOffice.org does not use corba, but their own system, which
works a similar way like corba or orb, and has bridges to these
systems, as I understood. The idls describe an interface, the
urds are the compiled form of these.

I'm not quite sure, but I think only the .urd's are needed to
make the interface-definition of the specific language, you
program. So I think only the .urd's will be needed.

I think the .urds are enough and should be in some -dev-packet.
I do not know where to put them correctly. It would be nice
to have some FHS-guy to give advice. I guess they might be
plattform-independent, so I think /usr/share/udk/<name as directory>
would be a good place. (I think the udkapi I send you had something
like this, but I do not know, if it worked)

> From the few I have learned, it seems that there should be some
> C, C++ or java code behind the idl files. It does not seems like that
> with udkapi and offapi. If we treat the idl files like headers, the
> -dev of these two packages would be put into /usr/include in full weight.
> offapi is heavily depends on udkapi. The rest of openoffice uses 188
> idl files, from which 14 is not in these two packages. Maybe by handling
> this two packages in one, we could minimize the number of idl files which
> should be put into the -dev package. Maybe minimizing the number of idls
> is a very bad idea.

As said before, I do not have understand the system very much, but I
think, only the .urd's are needed to make the matching interface
definitions in the languages.

It might be feasable, that the -dev packages do not only include the
.urds, but also the header-files generated by those for c++. (And in
the future perhaps also those for java)

> My questions:
> -Are urd files really architecture independent (they are in /usr/share)?

I do not know proper, I think asking the OOo guys would be the easiest
way to find out.

> -Where should we put urd files? /usr/share/<package>/... or better
> /usr/share/corba-registry/... ? I guess that the latter is better,

If they are architecture independed, I would vote for
 /usr/share/odk/<dir> i.e.
 /usr/share/odk/com/sun/star/uno/XComponentContext.urd
 for the interface com.sun.star.uni.XComponentConext.
(As these subdirectory structury is common Sunism and the code for
 code generating needs this, I think)

> because the namespace of the thing is well handled. Maybe not.
> -Where should we put idl files? /usr/include/idl? /usr/include/<package> ?
> /usr/share/idl? /usr/share/<package>/idl ?

I do not know, if they are needed at all and what possibilites exist to
get the interface readable out of the urd. I think there is some tool
to get an description out of the urds. If it is not and the .ird's are
not otherwise used, I would vote for putting them in some -doc

> Well, I have debianized udkapi and offapi, sort of. In offapi, there is
> a script (util/makeam) to create the Makefile.am files. I found that there
> are 3 or 4 idl files which cannot be compiled. As far as I saw they aren't
> compiled in upstream either. Now the rules file of offapi uses configure
> --with-udk, which is the location of the idl files of udk. It is a dirty
> hack.

Are the .idl-Files needed? I thought the .urd's would be enough. I will
have to look into them, when I have time.

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link
--
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve
nor will he ever receive either. (Benjamin Franklin)