Re: Future development

Martin Schulze wrote:

Have you considered running a semi-public development CVS Repository
for the OpenOffice source already?  You could request /cvs/openoffice
on cvs.debian.org and move the current source into it.

Why have two source repositories. This seems a little risky. If you can package getting the correct support libraries and doing the current cvs get command so that there are fewer people trying to get head from oo.org. The package could be updated when official releases are anounced and verified.

This way, more people can use the current code with all current
patches in order to improve the system and be able to build packages
earlier.  The repository could be accessed though cvs/pserver so more
people can get involved.

I am concerned with the patches on the external components. The community needs to validate and apply them to the appropriate upstream libraries. We can then work on splitting out the external stuff out from core OO source.

For packaging, I'd suggest using DBS and not the native Debian
packaging system.  This way you'd benefit from collecting small
patches instead of building one huge patch against the native package
out of it.  One problem though, documentation is not easy to
find...  For an example, see Apache or XFree86 packages.

What patches are you intending? I am a recent convert and not done open development so forgive my ignorance.

I'm little concerned about the progress of this package...

It is only now that I would consider creating a package. When I first started the build was just about impossible, now I might even be able to work on it instead of just struggling with it.

KenF
Debian Woody,  OO638C built and running.