Re: Status of the Octave 6 transition

Hi,

Le samedi 12 décembre 2020 à 13:55 +0100, Rafael Laboissière a écrit :

> The transition is doing pretty well.  The remaining problematic
> packages are:
>
> – octave-interval, octave-stk: These packages FTBFS due to a regression
> bug in Octave 6.1.0.  It seems that there is a trivial patch for fixing
> it¹.  @Sébastien: could you please take a look at this patch and,
> eventually, upload a new version of octave to unstable ?
>
> – octave-vibes: Build-depends on octave-inteval
>
> – octave-level-set: I pushed a new upstream version
> (0.3.1~git-2019-04-13), taken from the upstream Git repository, which
> fixes the compilation issues.  However, some BISTs are failing.  I am
> investigating this right now.
>
> – plplot: The new version 5.15.0+dfsg-17 is prepared in Git.  It FTBFS in
> unstable because the current version of its build-dependency
> python3-pyqt5 is broken (it is part of an ongoing transition
> qtbase-abi-5-15-1 ⇒ -2.

plplot is now fixed.

Therefore only remain: octave-{interval,stk,vibes,level-set}. As you
noted above, interval and stk fail because of regressions in octave
6.1.0.

My view is that we should first aim at finishing the transition, before
considering applying patches to octave (because doing so could cause
other problems, and delaying our transition could prevent other
transitions from happening before the freeze).

If you agree with this, then I will request the (temporary) removal
from testing of those 4 remaining packages (they are leaf packages so
that should not be a problem).

Then, once the transition is done, we could start working on fixing the
regressions in octave (several of them have already been fixed in
upstream repository), and helping the 4 packages migrating back. All of
that before the freeze.

Please let me know if this is ok with you.

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer