Re: Upgrade Standards-Version to 4.3.0

* Rafael Laboissière <rafael@debian.org> [2018-12-27 16:03]:

* Sébastien Villemot <sebastien@debian.org> [2018-12-27 13:47]:

And I just noticed that compat level 12 has been declared as the new stable level. So that would rather be "debhelper-compat (= 12)". But I did not check whether changes should be made in the packaging for that level.

I did not check neither. Once you are sure we can use the compatibility level 12, then we will make the changes.

It seems that the following change in debhelper compatibility level 12 causes problems with some of the OF packages [cf debhelper(1)]:

“The standard sequence in dh now includes dh_dwz and dh_installinitramfs by default. This makes the dwz and installinitramfs sequences obsolete and they will now fail with an error. If you want to skip these commands, then please insert an empty override target for them in debian/rules (e.g. override_dh_dwz:)”

The impacted packages are (at least):

  octave-octclip
  octave-octproj
  octave-secs2d
  octave-sparsersb

These packages build the *.oct files with option -s and without option -g, what makes dh_dwz fail with the following error (for instance, for the octave-sparsersb package):

  dh_dwz: dwz -q -- debian/octave-sparsersb/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/octave/packages/sparsersb-1.0.6/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-api-v52/sparsersb.oct returned exit code 1

The dwz command fails because the respective *.oct files are lacking the .debug_info section.

Now, I have not investigated the DWARF format neither I understand why the dwz would be necessary for the Octave-related packages. At any rate, I do not see why the dwz should fail when the .debug_info section is not present in the *.oct files. We might, for instance add the following override in debian/rules:

override_dh_dwz:
        -dh_dwz -O--buildsystem=octave

Indeed, this fixes the problem, but I am not sure about the side effects.

If we go down this road, it would be preferable to make this change globally in dh-octave. However, I have no idea on how to accomplish this. Suggestions are welcome.