Avoiding the removal of .gitignore by gbp-import-orig

JFYI, since version 0.8.14 of git-buildpackage, option merge-mode of gbp-import-orig has the default value "replace". Contrary to the behavior of the previous default value "merge", each time I run gbp-import-orig now, I get the file .gitignore wiped away. My workaround for the problem is to add the following lines to ~/.gbp.conf:

 [import-orig]
 merge-mode = merge

I am just sharing this with you, in case you are facing the same problem and have not found a solution. I am not fully sure that using a non-default value for merge-mode is appropriate, but it is working for me, at least.