[Pkg-octave-devel] Octave 4.2 for stretch

Debian Octave maintainers,

In case you are not aware,

1. Stretch will be defaulting to GCC 6 [1]
2. Octave 4.0.x FTBFS with GCC 6 [2][3]
3. Octave 4.2.0 is coming, hopefully in time for the stretch freeze [4]

The changes needed to make it build with GCC 6 were quite disruptive. I
don't think anyone has yet tried or proposed trying to patch 4.0.x to
make it work with GCC 6, but it looks like trouble.

I don't know why we don't have a gcc6 bug in the Debian BTS, maybe a
build-dependency also FTBFS?

Any thoughts on schedule, mitigation plans, early coordination we could
do to have a successful Octave release on stretch? When would be a good
time to have a beta release in experimental considering the 2016-11-05
transition freeze?

[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2016/06/msg00007.html
[2]: http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?47073
[3]: http://people.ubuntuwire.org/~wgrant/rebuild-ftbfs-test/test-rebuild-20160226-gcc6-xenial.html