GCC 6 & binutils for the Debian stretch release

As announced a year ago [1], GCC 6 will be the default GCC for the Debian
stretch release.  GCC 6 is now available in testing, and can be made the default
by installing the gcc/g++ packages from experimental.  Known build failures are
reported at [2] seen on amd64.  Build failures for more architectures (but done
for Ubuntu packages) can be seen at [3].  Please help fixing these issues in
testing/unstable. Some help how to approach build issues can be found at [4].

There will be a bug squashing party at DebCamp, and one at DebConf. For
details, see the GCC 6 wiki page [5]. Please consider joining remotely as well.

It is my goal to release stretch without GCC 4.9 and GCC 5.  Issues for packages
explicitly using GCC 4.9 are already filed [6] and will become release critical.
 Issues for packages explicitly using GCC 5 [7] will be filed after GCC 6 is the
default, and will become release critical.

The GCC defaults change will happen around July at or shortly after the GCC
6.2.0 release which is expected three months after the GCC 6.1.0 release.

The binutils maintainers announced a change from a 12 months release cycle to a
six months release cycle [8], so there is hope we'll see (late) summer releases
again which don't happen at Christmas.  Expecting binutils 2.27 (or maybe
binutils 2.28) for stretch. binutils 2.27 will be uploaded to unstable after
the GCC defaults change.

Matthias

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2015/07/msg00000.html
[2]