Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Issues regarding octave-interval 1.5.0-1

On 08.06.2016 08:51, Rafael Laboissière wrote:
> * Oliver Heimlich <oheim@posteo.de> [2016-06-06 23:19]:
>
>> 1. The package can't be build on some platforms anymore (mipsel and
>> hurd-i386 so far) because the creation of one particular plot for the
>> manual requires too much memory for buildd. Can I do something about
>> it except removing the plot from the manual?
>>
>> 2. Lintian says “arch-dep-package-has-big-usr-share” again. /usr/share
>> is at 2.2 MB, so it's a little bit above the threshold. I don't want
>> to ask the question of splitting the package into
>> octave-interval-common again.
>
> My recollection is that we decided to rely on the threshold defined by
> Lintian for splitting the package.  If the threshold is reached, then I
> think the package should be split.
>
>> However, if we did split the package: Would the arch-independent
>> binary be built on all platforms? If not, could this be a solution to
>> the out-of-memory issue above?
>
> You will probably need to adjust debian/rules, in order to have
> "make -C doc manual.html" invoked only for the building of the
> architecture-independent package.
>
> Rafael

I prepared a split version [1]. Instead of separating *all* arch-indep
files into a separate xxx-common package (as it has been done in
octave-communications and octave-ltfat), I have separated only the
arch-indep documentation into a separate xxx-doc package.

I find this approach much easier to handle and to maintain, because it
creates two packages that can be used independently and the user may
choose to install the documentation or not.

Of course, it does not remove /usr/share completely from the arch-dep
package, but should be sufficient for the Lintian thresholds:
	octave-interval - /usr/share 891kB (73%) clearly below 2MB
	octave-interval-doc - /usr/share 1.3MB

Also, this should fix the high memory consumption of arch-dep only
builds as well as a problem on sparc64 with Imagemagick.

If you are fine with this change, I am going to work on the privacy
issue (external CSS in the manual) next.

Oliver

[1]
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-octave/octave-interval.git/commit/?id=9d2eb8648c4f3bc4a8459c01e4eaa83306633f23