Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Improvements for octave-pkg-dev [was: Re: Regarding octave-interval packaging]

* Rafael Laboissière <rafael@laboissiere.net> [2016-04-25 07:11]:

* Oliver Heimlich <oheim@posteo.de> [2016-04-24 22:39]:

- we should parse the upstream DESCRIPTION and provide the description text in a substvar. This way we don't have to repeat ourselves. See octave-interval's d/rules how to do it.

Your technique using the ${source:Uptream-Description} is interesting and it may be a good idea to implement it in octave-pkg-dev, more specifically in the octave-pkg-helper or in another one similar. This is a Perl script and has provisions for creating and adding substitution variables. I will take a look at this.

I implemented your idea in commit 8f5df20. For coherence sake, I called the substitution variable "octave:Uptream-Description", instead of "source:Uptream-Description", as you suggested.