[Pkg-octave-devel] Improvements for octave-pkg-dev [was: Re: Regarding octave-interval packaging]

* Oliver Heimlich <oheim@posteo.de> [2016-04-24 22:39]:

I finished my other tasks that I wanted to do. There have been some observations about how we could improve octave-pkg.mk:

- The NEWS file gets packaged twice. First it gets installed in Octave's packinfo dir. Second, it gets compressed into usr/share/doc. I fixed it in octave-interval by setting a dh-variable and using a symlink that points to packinfo/NEWS.

This might be implemented in octave-pkg.mk.

- the remove-dirs target should have a double-colon rule, cf. clean. I want to extend it's behaviour and had to duplicate the rule.

Should we make all internal rules defined in octave-pkg.mk double colon? They are:

       check-version
       create-dirs
       install-pkg
       clean-files
       install-docs
       check-pkg
       remove-dirs

- we should parse the upstream DESCRIPTION and provide the description text in a substvar. This way we don't have to repeat ourselves. See octave-interval's d/rules how to do it.

Your technique using the ${source:Uptream-Description} is interesting and it may be a good idea to implement it in octave-pkg-dev, more specifically in the octave-pkg-helper or in another one similar. This is a Perl script and has provisions for creating and adding substitution variables. I will take a look at this.

At any rate, I tried to built octave-interval from Git HEAD in a clean chroot and the substvar ${source:Uptream-Description} was not create, for unknown reasons.

- the install-docs rule in octave-pkg.mk should not call dh_installdocs. The latter will already be called during the binary-install phase and calling it twice is not necessary.

This sounds correct.  I will take a closer look on this.