Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] [RFU] octave-pkg-dev 1.3.3

* Sébastien Villemot <sebastien@debian.org> [2016-02-01 13:48]:

Le lundi 01 février 2016 à 07:23 +0100, Rafael Laboissiere a écrit :

For all Octave-Forge add-on packages providing .oct, Lintian issues the hardening-no-bindnow warning. I prepared in Git (commit 3147799) a new version of octave-pkg-dev (1.3.3) that adds the appropriate linker flag to avoid that warning. Please, upload it to unstable.

Could you possibly give us more background on your adding of this specific linker flag? At this stage I don't have a clear understanding of why it is needed in the first place, and what are the potential implications for oct-forge packages.

I apologize for not giving the context of the change. Thanks for asking me to do it.

I am not sure this is really needed for the OF packages, but it is recommended for hardening them [1]. Lintian issues a warning tagged "X" (experimental) for all OF packages shipping *.oct files (e.g., octave-signal [2]). When the OF packages are built against the version of octave-pkg-dev that is currently in the Git branch master, then the Lintian warning is gone.

If the setting of the bindnow linker flag does not harm the packages, I guess we should do it.

Rafael

1. https://wiki.debian.org/Hardening#DEB_BUILD_HARDENING_BINDNOW_.28ld_-z_now.29
2. https://lintian.debian.org/full/pkg-octave-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org.html#octave-signal

Thanks,