Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Packaging Octave 3.8

* Sébastien Villemot <sebastien@debian.org> [2014-01-02 21:51]:

Le jeudi 02 janvier 2014 à 21:39 +0100, Rafael Laboissiere a écrit :
* Sébastien Villemot <sebastien@debian.org> [2014-01-02 20:04]:

[snip]

I took a quick look at the non-forge packages that depend on liboctave1, which are:

   octave-vlfeat
   sdpam
   octave-psychtoolbox-3
   octave-plplot
   octave-pfstools
   octave-nlopt
   libsbml5-octave
   octave-gdf
   octave-lhapdf
   octave-gmt
   octave-biosig
   octave-sundials

[snip]

But this was not my point. I am thinking about partial upgrades, i.e. a situation where the user upgrades octave but not some package depending on it (and that package will therefore still be using liboctave1). And, if partial upgrades do not work, then it is our duty to avoid them by adding the corresponding Breaks.

I guess that all packages that I listed above will be broken (or half-broken) after upgrading to octave_3.8.0, since they need the interpreter and the *.oct and *.mex files included in them will not work. I did some tests and got segmentation faults. I did not test all packages, though,

The hypothetical case that you mention above would be a package containing a executable that is linked against liboctave1 and does not need the interpreter to be run.

I think that your proposal "Breaks: liboctave1" is probably the best solution.