Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Manpages for octave-cli and octave-gui

On 01/01/2014 02:46 PM, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
In package version 3.8.0~rc2-1, the commands octave-gui and octave-cli
are lacking manpages.  I implemented a solution in commit b3d5849, by
linking octave-gui.1.gz and octave-cli.1.gz to octave.1.gz and by
changing, through a patch, the original manpage to read this:

    SYNOPSIS
         octave [options]... [file]
         octave-cli [options]... [file]
         octave-gui [options]... [file]

    DESCRIPTION
         Octave is a high-level language, primarily intended for numerical
         computations.  It provides convenient command line (octave-cli)
         and graphical user (octave-gui) interfaces for solving linear and
         nonlinear problems numerically.  The octave command is a synonym
         for octave-gui.

instead of this:

    SYNOPSIS
         octave [options]... [file]

    DESCRIPTION
         Octave is a high-level language, primarily intended for numerical
         computations.  It provides a convenient command line interface for
         solving linear and nonlinear problems numerically.

Please, tell me whether you think this solution is acceptable, and I
will forward the patch upstream.

The octave-gui binary is not intended to be executed directly by users so it should not be listed in the man page. In the 3.8.0 release it is installed in the libexec directory, not bin.

jwe