Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Dynare FTBFS / Octave+gnuplot bug

Hi,

Le lundi 12 octobre 2009 à 20:04 +0200, Thomas Weber a écrit :
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 12:06:33PM +0200, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
> > The Dynare testsuite runs a similar sequence of Octave instances with
> > graphics and M-files created on-the-fly, hence the problem reported on
> > kfreebsd-i386 arch. I had created a poor-man workaround in quilt patch
> > "testsuite-octave3.2-crash-workaround" of Dynare package, but this is
> > not enough, at least on some buildds. Increasing the sleep delay would
> > probably solve the problem, but this is definitely not a satisfactory
> > solution.

I have reported the bug against Octave 3.2 in both Debian BTS and Octave
bug list. For the moment I got no answer from Octave developers. The
Dynare package is still blocked from entering testing, because of an
FTBFS on kfreebsd-i386.

There are several possible solutions (not all are mutually exclusive):

1) Wait more for a response from an Octave developer

2) Ask for a rebuild on kfreebsd-i386. This may succeed, because of the
random nature of the bug.

3) Patch the Octave package in Debian. I can provide a simple patch
which fixes bug #550823. Instead of only reexamining the content of
directories of the load-path when their modification time changes, the
idea is to reexamine them at every search in the load-path. Of course
this can have an adverse effect on performance, particulary on
directories with a lot of files; I am however unable to quantify the
possible loss of performance.

4) Upload a new Dynare version. Since I now have a better understanding
of bug #550823, I have a new version of the workaround for that bug,
which I hope can make the Dynare package build successfully on all
archs.

What are your preferences ?

Best,

--