Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Importance of octave-forge packages and removal of a lot of them

Hi,

[Replying to mysql and hoping this mail doesn't break threading].

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 06:09:20PM +0200, Thomas Weber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to update the octave-forge package to Octave 3.2. Given their
> huge number, the average rather tiny focus of each package and the fact
> that some packages haven't seen any real code update in years, I simply
> don't want to maintain them any longer. This is without even thinking
> about the time sink these packages have become.
>
> So, unless someone comes up and helps (although I'd prefer to
> consolidate the number of packages upstream), I'll ask for the removal
> of about every second octave-forge package. The number is an estimate, I
> don't have any list currently which packages to keep.

As should be obvious by now, I didn't manage to update the octave-forge
stuff yet. There's no specific reason for this, just too much work in
other areas.

Anyway, I changed my mind about the removal. I'll try to update all of
the current packages to octave3.2. There are essentially two reasons for
this:

1) The freeze for the next Debian release is targeted for March 2010,
which gives us more time than I thought.

2) Octave-Forge is changing its release system which should make future
release much more simple and targeted. I don't want to undermine the
time spent by Soren and others in this area.

	Thomas