[Pkg-octave-devel] large .oct files with latest version in testing

Hello Octave packagers,
First of all, thanks for your work on packaging Octave for Debian. I've been benefiting from the results for a long time now. I notice that .oct files are a lot larger now than they were a few weeks ago, using octave3.0 in Lenny. It seems to me that the change occurred when moving from octave3.0 package version 1:3.0.1-2 to 1:3.0.1:3.

I have only the octave3.0 and octave3.0-headers packages installed. I guess that the new version is not stripping debug information, while the previous version did so. If I were compiling a single .oct file, I know how to use --strip to solve the problem. My difficulty is that I'm compiling a large package that uses a Makefile of its own, and I don't see how to do the stripping. The package is MPITB for Octave (http://atc.ugr.es/javier-bin/mpitb).

I don't expect help from this list on how to modify that Makefile, that's not your job of course. I just want to make sure that octave3.0 now includes debug symbols into .oct files by default, and that this change is intended.

Thanks, Michael