Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Uncommon Files: Octave-forge 2.9/2.1 transition

* Colin Ingram <synergizedmusic@gmail.com> [2006-02-09 10:56]:

> On 2/9/06, Rafael Laboissiere <rafael@debian.org> wrote:
> > * Colin Ingram <synergizedmusic@gmail.com> [2006-02-06 13:11]:
> >
> > > I assume that the m-files can be installed in version specific
> > > directories for example:
> > >
> > > /usr/share/octave/2.1.72/site/m/octave-forge would have cell/cell2mat.m
> >
> > Yes, this is the way a cope with the problem, but then we will have to
> > recompile for every new version of Octave.
> >

> I think this is the default behavior...although I agree that it isn't
> ideal, recompiling only on api changes would be better.

Oh, I am just realizing that octave2.1 and octave2.9 have different api
numbers:

$ for i in 1 9 ; do echo -n "octave2.$i: "; dpkg -L octave2.$i | grep api | grep /m; done
octave2.1: /usr/share/octave/site/api-v13/m
octave2.9: /usr/share/octave/site/api-v17/m

The problem is solved, I think.

> > Yes, by using the /etc/alternatives mechanism.  We are already doing this
> > for a bunch of other files.
> >

> This seems like a good idea for /usr/bin/mex.  Hopefully this can be
> coordinated with the other binaries as mentioned in your most recent
> email.

Sure.  Use update-alternatives --slave /usr/bin/mex, please.