Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Uncommon Files: Octave-forge 2.9/2.1 transition

On 2/9/06, Rafael Laboissiere <rafael@debian.org> wrote:
> * Colin Ingram <synergizedmusic@gmail.com> [2006-02-06 13:11]:
>
> > I assume that the m-files can be installed in version specific
> > directories for example:
> >
> > /usr/share/octave/2.1.72/site/m/octave-forge would have cell/cell2mat.m
>
> Yes, this is the way a cope with the problem, but then we will have to
> recompile for every new version of Octave.

I think this is the default behavior...although I agree that it isn't
ideal, recompiling only on api changes would be better.

> I have not looked at the sources, but what about patching the files to
> use the OCTAVE_VERSION conditionally?  If this work, you could c
> contribute the changes upstream to octave-forge.

I will look into this

> > but what do we do about /usr/bin/mex and the man page?  Can these
> > files be made version specific?
>
> Yes, by using the /etc/alternatives mechanism.  We are already doing this
> for a bunch of other files.

This seems like a good idea for /usr/bin/mex.  Hopefully this can be
coordinated with the other binaries as mentioned in your most recent
email.