Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] New release of octave-forge

* Colin Ingram <synergizedmusic@gmail.com> [2006-02-04 16:08]:

> did you encounter these warnings
>
> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: format of `NEEDED liboctinterp.so' not recognized
> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: format of `NEEDED liboctave.so' not recognized
> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: format of `NEEDED libcruft.so' not recognized
> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: format of `NEEDED liboctinterp.so' not recognized
>
> what are these all about?

The dpkg-shlibdeps program, which is called by dh_shlibdeps, investigate
each *.oct dynloadable module for library dependencies.  It finds
something like this:

$ ldd main/cell/cellfun.oct
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
        liboctinterp.so => not found
        liboctave.so => not found
        libcruft.so => not found
        liblapack.so.3 =>
        /usr/lib/atlas/liblapack.so.3 (0x40026000)
        [...]

The Octave libraries are not found because they are installed in a place
where ld.so cannot find them (/usr/lib/octave-2.1.72/).

These warnings are harmeless in our case.  The sole purpose of
dh_shlibdeps is to automatically calculate the library dpendencies and
replace them automatically in the Depends field (like fftw, ginac,
netcdf, etc.).  We already introduce an explicit dependency on octave
through ${octave:Depends}, though.