[Pkg-octave-devel] Mailing list vs. real person name in changelog

On 29-Nov-2005, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:

| Please tell me how do you feel about this issue.  If you guys prefer
| using real person names in debian/changelog, I will make the necessary
| changes in the DOG Guidelines.

I scanned the thread, but I don't know the policies/customs so I'm not
sure what the argument is all about.

The important thing for me is that a changelog entry should
(somewhere) have the name of the actual person who made the change.
The reason I care about who actually made the change is so that I can
ask a specific person about a specific change.  It helps to have an
email address for the individual, but that is of course no guarantee
that I will receive an answer.  But at least I know who to ask first.

If people think that it is necessary to have contact information for a
specific person becuase that is somehow better than a list, then I
think they are kidding themselves.  People regularly change email
addresses, delete (filter) or ignore mail, etc.

jwe