Re: Working on the ounit package - and finding a slew of new packages are needed...

Dear Julien,

Le 19/06/2023 à 17:29, julien.puydt@gmail.com a écrit :
this morning I wanted to take over the ounit package orphaned a while
ago since I have a use for it (it's a Coq dep). Updating it required
updating 'ocaml-dune', so I looked into it.

Updating ocaml-dune was on my radar.

I've made a run of debian-opam-switch recently:

https://salsa.debian.org/ocaml-team/opam-debian-switch/-/blob/master/newer-in-opam.txt

I think we should reduce this list as much as possible before updating OCaml to a new version (5.1?).

So far, I've noticed that many of outdated packages require a newer version of ocaml-dune. That's why it was on my radar.

That requires to package a new lib: 'pp'.

Unfortunately, this package would need another new package,
'ppx_expect'.

In turn, that one needs another package 'ppx_inline_test'.

And for that, I would need another package, 'time_now'.

Which needs new packages for 'jane-street-headers' and 'jst-config'.

You'll be glad to know that the Jane Street headers seem to require
nothing new - but 'jst-config' does want a new package: 'ppx_assert'.

Finally, 'ppx_assert' would like a new package for 'ppx_cold' and the
trail seems to end at that point.

Do we have anything about any of those? Like experimental packages or
existing packages I didn't recognize as one of the above?

If nobody has a better idea, I'll enter the ITP-package-upload dance...

Thank you for taking care of that!

Stéphane