Re: ocaml 4.04 transition

On 03/07/2017 14:02, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
I've synced 4.04 from experimental into Ubuntu and started to migrate
all the things.

Great!

I gave up on ocaml / ocamlbuild split, and thus made dh-ocaml to
depend on ocamlbuild. I guess the right approach is for the packages
to build-depend on ocamlbuild, but that was too many deltas for me to
upload into Ubuntu by myself.

I understand. However, I think we can affort to add the build-depend when necessary in Debian.

Quite a few build failures are due to change from int32 to int32_t and similar.

Also there are some build failures due to incorrect ocaml var usage /
initialisation (anything that fails to access ocaml__frame).

And then there are unique failures due to stricter names of modules /
renames, etc. These are typically solved by getting new upstream
versions of things.

OK.

Current progress can be seen here:
http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/transitions/html/html/ocaml.html

Thank you for setting this up.

Have you been planning 4.04 transition soon?

Yes. Note that 4.04.2 has just been released, and an RC of 4.05.0 has been released. Depending on when the release team decides we should go with the transition, we'll transition to either 4.04.2 or 4.05.0.

And would you like me to
file some bugs with and/or without patches for things that need fixing
for smooth 4.04 binNMU transition?

It depends: if the new upstream version of some package fixes the compilation with 4.04 (which I guess happens most of the time, for the "live" packages), I would prefer to upload the new version instead of a fix. Also, I wouldn't mind removing packages from testing temporarily if it helps getting most of the other packages in testing.

Stéphane